Type : main dish
Level of difficulty : medium
Mood : miss Yogya very much
I was curious to try this recipe. Just because i’ve tasted this once in Yogya, way back in college life. Until now there are not so many places that provide Ayam Panggang Klaten, unlike bacem or gudeg. Don’t know why. Different from bacem, this dish is tasty due to coconut milk, with a little hint of sweetness.
Ok, just a little culinary story. There was a well known mbah (old lady) who sold this dish near Pasar Bringharjo. She placed the chicken in a large Tenong (alumunium bowl). But now nobody know where she was. Lots of people who knew the famous Ayam Panggang are missing her. But we still can enjoy it at local restaurant called Warung Bu Ageng, owned by Butet Kertaradjasa.
Since meat’s price is very high, I thought hey this is the right time to try this recipe. I copy from here. The recipe is in bahasa.
3 sdm minyak sayur
2 lembar daun salam
1 batang serai, memarkan
1 sdt asam Jawa
1 ekor ayam buras yang muda, potong 4 bagian
500 ml santan dari 1 butir kelapa parut
6 butir bawang merah
4 siung bawang putih
5 butir kemiri
1 sdm ketumbar, sangrai
1 sdt merica butiran
1 cm kunyit
1 cm lengkuas
1 cm jahe
20 g gula Jawa
2 sdt garam
1. Panaskan minyak, tumis bumbu halus hingga wangi.
2. Tambahkan daun salam, dan serai. Aduk rata.
3. Masukkan potongan ayam, aduk hingga kaku.
4. Tuangi santan, aduk-aduk hingga mendidih.
5. Kecilkan api. Masak hingga kuah berminyak kental dan daging ayam empuk.
6. Angkat ayam, tiriskan.
7. Bakar di atas bara api sambil olesi sisa bumbu hingga ayam agak kecokelatan dan kering. Angkat, sajikan hangat.
Untuk 6 orang
In Indonesian food making, grind the ingredients is a hard part for me. Mortar and pestle are not my best friend. But the taste is worth making. Eat this with warm rice, sambal and Jamur Penyet (fried mushroom). Yummo….