Type : cotton cake
Level of difficulty : medium
Mood : PMS, arggghhh….
Unlike usual weekend, until now I haven’t decide what to bake. Planning to bake beef floss roll bread, but I’m feeling so tired today. Everybody seems to be so so annoying today.
So i’m thingking to bake my fav chiffon tomorrow. But right now i would like to share one of the cake that I’m so proud seeing the result. Beautifull cake appearance, melt in your mouth type. You can see the original recipe here.
Ok here it goes…
130g cream cheese
3 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla extract
30g rice flour (can replace with all-purpose flour)
10g corn flour
3 egg whites
70g caster sugar
1 tsp lemon juice (can replace with 1/2 tsp vinegar)
(C) chocolate batter
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tbsp hot water
* dissolve and set aside
1. Place cream cheese, milk and butter in a bowl. Cook with double boiler method until thick and smooth. Set aside.
2. After the cheese mixture turned warm, add in yolks and vanilla extract. Whisk to combine.
* make sure the mixture is not too hot till cook the yolks.
3. Sift in both rice and corn flour into the cheese mixture and whisk until well combine.
4. In another clean bowl, beat egg
whites until frothy. Put in lemon juice and add in sugar gradually, beat until soft peaks.
5. Scoop about 1/3 of egg whites into cheese mixture and fold to combine.
Pour the mixed batter into whites.
Again fold and make sure all the egg whites are well combined with the cheese mixture.
6. For the cocoa batter remove 3-4
tablespoons of batter into the cocoa mixture. Mix well and set aside.
7. Pour the plain batter into 8” round pan with lined base and sides. Pour the cocoa batter on top. Then create the swirls with a chopstick.
* for better swirls swirl the chocolate batter like a snake, S shape and not in straight lines.
8. Place cake pan into a slightly bigger, shallower pan. Fill the bigger pan with boiling water and put in oven to bake at 150C for 20 minutes. Then turn down to 120C and further bake for 20-25 minutes.
*Oven temperature only for your
reference do adjust according to your oven.
9. Unmould cake immediately upon
removal from oven, if not the cake will shrink a lot.
* Don’t worry of handling soft cotton cheesecake. If the cheesecake is well cooked you won’t have the problem of
removing the cake. It is not fragile that you think 🙂
10. Once cool keep the cake in fridge to chill before serving.
I highly reccomend this cake. Especially for those of you who alergic to gluten or if you have celiac desease, or even if you are a food-combiner. Or maybe you just like me : simply adore cotton cake…